A Pitaya bowl is one of the most delicious things you will ever eat! It’s so easy to make. But before making it, you should know about this fruit and what nutrients are in it. So, let’s start.
What is a Pitaya?
Pitaya, commonly known as Dragon Fruit, is a super fruit that originated in Central and South America and is now widely farmed around the World. It was found centuries ago in America and has since traveled to every corner of the globe. Pitaya was transported to Asia by early missionaries, where it was renamed and now it is known as Dragon Fruit. On the inside, many Pitayas or Dragon Fruit species contain white flesh or pulp, but the others are red or dark pink in color and they are known as red flesh Pitaya. Most people harvest red Pitaya because it is higher in nutrients, flavor, and of course, color.
Taste of a Pitaya
Pitaya has a subtle, sweet flavor similar to an earthy Watermelon. It is highly juicy and full of small seeds. The mix of soft flesh and little seeds is reminiscent of kiwi fruit. If you want to know about its flavor then here it is:
- One with pink skin and white flesh has the mildest taste.
- Pitaya which has red flesh and pink skin is kind of sweet.
- One with yellow skin and white flesh is sweetest.
So how nutritious and beneficial is a Pitaya?
- Pitaya is rich in magnesium that helps us to increase our energy level. It helps us in relaxing muscles, nerves, and anxiety.
- The fruit is full of fibers that reduce the risk of Heart disease, control sugar in the blood and maintain the bowel. It also helps us to achieve a healthy weight.
- Pitaya is the best source of Iron and this nutrient is really important because it helps in the functionality of muscle and the brain.
- It has a large number of antioxidants that help us to prevent cancer and heart diseases.
- Pitaya is also rich in vitamin B and Vitamin C as we know that Vitamin B is a water-soluble Vitamin. Our body needs it on a daily basis because it can’t be stored in our body. It also helps in the production of energy. On the other hand, Vitamin C provides protection against immune system deficiencies.
Let’s not forget to mention the seeds. These small black speck’s oil includes two vital fatty acids that humans require:
- Linoleic acid
- Alpha- Linoleic acid.
How to store it?
Our recommendation is to make it fresh and serve it immediately, but if by chance you have any leftovers, keep them in an airtight container in the freezer. Don’t let it melt. But when you serve it again, make sure to defrost it and pulse it once again in a blender.
About a Pitaya bowl:
This light, fruity, and refreshing Pitaya Bowl recipe is ideal for breakfast, lunch or you can just take it as a nutritious snack. Before being topped with your favorite fruit, a dragon fruit smoothie is mixed with banana, yogurt, and other nutrient-dense ingredients. Because they are smooth, cold, and sweet, the Pitaya bowl is so similar to frozen yogurt. Try one of these chilly bowls instead of ice cream the next time you have an ice cream craving. You will feel a whole lot better.
A Pitaya (it must be frozen before being used in the smoothie and the second thing if you do not have access to fresh Pitaya, you can prepare the bowl with frozen pitaya packets)
- Apple Juice (if you love the vegan version otherwise you can use almond milk, soy milk, coconut milk)
- Maple Syrup (it is used for extra sweetness)
- Chopped fruits
- Chocolate chips
- Chia seeds or hemp seeds
How To Prepare a Pitaya bowl?
To begin, first of all, you have to prepare the fruits.
- Wash the Pitaya and trim both of its ends.
- Now use a knife to peel off the skin and cut the Pitaya in half and use a spoon to take the flesh out.
- When flesh comes out, cut it into pieces of 1 or 2-inch cubes and freeze them for 2 to 3 hours.
- Take a large banana and peel it, after peeling it, cut it into slices, and freeze them for 3 to 4 hours.
- Take 5 to 6 strawberries and wash them. After washing, cut them in half or quarter and also freeze them for 3 to 4 hours.
- When they freeze, take out the frozen banana, pitaya, and strawberries. Let them thaw a little.
- After the thawing period, add all the ingredients, pitaya, banana slices, strawberries, ½ cup of apple juice, maple syrup(2 spoons or according to your taste) to the jar of a blender.
- Blend it at high speed until it becomes smooth and creamy.
- After it becomes smooth, transfer this mixture to a big bowl.
Now the last step is topping. Top it with your favorite topping.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Is a Pitaya Bowl healthy?
The answer is yes! Pitaya is high in nutrients and has antioxidants that help our body to fight against cancer-causing radicals. Our tasty Pitaya bowl includes nutrients that help to reduce cell damage, inflammation, and heart disease.
Q: Is it possible to make the bowl with white flesh Pitaya?
Yes, you can. But here is a piece of advice to top the smoothie with colorful fruits to make it look beautiful.
Q: Which one is healthier, acai or Pitaya?
Acai has more Vitamin A and slightly more calcium than Pitaya in terms of Vitamin and mineral content, whereas Pitaya has more iron and Vitamin C. In either case, there is not much of a difference between the two, so don’t let minor differences in vitamin/mineral content influence your decision.
So, that’s it for now. Follow the above-mentioned steps and enjoy the tasty and refreshing pitaya bowl in your breakfast or just as a snack.